Item Coversheet
MEETING DATE:  6/24/2020Consent – Bids  aj.
TO:Honorable Mayor and City Council
FROM:Nick Fidler, Public Works Director
WARD:Ward 6
SUBJECT:Accept bid and approve contract with Bowman Asphalt, Inc. ($306,191), for Median Modification: Dual Left Turn Lane Construction, Ming Avenue at Stine Road.

Staff recommends acceptance of low bid and approval of contract.

The intersection of Ming Avenue and Stine Road currently has single left turn lanes in all four directions, which causes significant bottlenecks at the intersection. This project will modify the median islands on Ming Avenue, and slightly narrow the through lanes to accommodate dual left turn lanes on Ming Avenue, onto Stine Road. The project also includes reconstructing the median island with textured paving (median hardscape), roadway excavation, new pavement tie-ins, adjustments of traffic signal pullboxes/vaults, minor striping and pavement markings modifications and installation of traffic detector loops.


This project is funded through the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality program, which pays 88.53% of the federal funds, while the remaining 11.47% of the local funds are funded through Gas Tax Funds.


The engineer's estimate for the project is $252,000.


On May 21, 2020, a total of four bids were received; all four of those bids are acceptable. Those acceptable bids are as follows:


Bowman Asphalt, Inc.

3351 Fairhaven Drive

Bakersfield, CA 93308 (County)


        in the amount of        $306,191.00   

Cen-Cal Construction

34762 Lencioni Avenue

Bakersfield, CA 93308 (County)


        in the amount of       $323,124.60  

Griffith Company

1128 Carrier Parkway Avenue

Bakersfield, CA 93308 (County)


        in the amount of        $342,243.00  

Granite Construction Company

3005 James Road

Bakersfield, CA 93308 (County)

        in the amount of       $362,903.00  


Sufficient funds are available in the project budget to award this contract. Staff can work with Caltrans staff to secure additional funds if needed.


Since the funding source for this project is federal funds and gas tax funds, there is no general fund impact associated with the award of this contract.